Friday, August 27, 2010

First post from Japan!

...I feel like I should have tons of interesting things to say, but jet lag is sneaking up on my at the moment and I'm starting to feel really sleepy. Oh well, I'll do my best to keep my eyes open (considering it's only 8:30pm here).
The plane ride to LAX was... pretty boring to be honest. But it went by quickly. We did end up having to go through security again at LAX because we had to go to a different building to get to our terminal.
Korean Air was overall pretty nice. The little TVs in the seats in front of everyone were entertaining. I manged to get in two movies and quite a bit of sleep.
And upon landing the first thing I noticed, of course, was the heat. It is ridiculously hot here. And damn humid. So so so humid. Walking around at night, especially, I feel like I'm walking through honey or something. But maybe I'll get used to it!
This is a lot of text, so let's add some pictures...

Sweet, right? That's the Skymap from the little TVs on Korean Air. It showed us how close we were getting to our destination!

One of our first glimpses of Japan!

On the bus ride (yes, they picked us up in a bus THANK GOODNESS) to Hayama Seminar House, which is our dorm, I really didn't take very many pictures. Approx. 13 hours in the air was finally hitting me, and I was so tired! But I did manage to take a picture of the sunset:

It doesn't really show up as well in that picture, but the sun was bright red.

Then this morning we had alien registration! They have to keep us extra-terrestrials in line, you know. That went fine, and we should get our sweet alien cards at the end of September. Afterwards we went on a tour of the town that we're living in, Hayama. Hayama is a really pretty town, but do you think I've taken pictures of a lot of it? Haha no. But here's some pictures taken at a little shrine that they had near the beach (by the way, the sand at the beach was sooo hot):

These are... I won't even try. I don't know what these are. If any of you know, please tell me!

Us and all of our KGU 'buddies'! Can you find me?

Here's a killer awesome (killer awesome?) statue that looks like a lion, but apparently is a dog.

Later, we went as a group and explored Hayama some more. Found this awesome sign:

No, your eyes are not deceiving you. The name of this pizzeria is in fact Fatty's. Umm ok, Japan.

Pretty river...stream...thing.

Cigarette vending machine! Which are everywhere by the way.

The beach! Or rather, one part of it. This part had boats and stuff docked, so it wasn't really accessible to us. Well, yeah it was, but it wouldn't have been too much fun. The beach closer to the dorm is bigger and full of awesome. And hot painful sand. Also, blurry picture is blurry because using my flash made the whole thing disappear into darkness, and not using my flash without enough light around me makes it blur. Ho hum.

Finally, here's some pictures of my room!

From the door! Notice I have yet to finish unpacking.

My bed! The pillow is a lot more comfortable than I thought it was going to be. I've heard it was like a punching bag, and... it is, but for some reason it feels alright.

My desk/tv/fridge area! If you'll notice, I was watching some program with a cross-dresser starring on it. Yeah... I'm definitely in Japan.

Well tomorrow we're going with our 'buddies' to explore Yokohama! So look forward to more pictures. Hopefully they'll be more interesting than these...
Now even though it's only 9:00pm, I think I'll go to bed.
Goodnight/Goodmorning everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Wow you are in Japan!! Hayama looks nice, and so do all your buddies. I spot some familiar faces from last year:D Should be a fun semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thats pretty awesome Beccs! The picture of the sunset was amazing, I wish I could have seen it for realz! haha. And WHY is your room not plastered with pictures of ME?! haha. I'm (not) glad you made it safely and all that junk! I like that statue that looks like a lion but isn't. Reminds me of your lion head! :D
    Anyway, I want to see more pictures pronto. Aaanndd! Skype date soon! :D
    Love (hate!!) you! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH everything looks amazing! The humidity is the worst, I hope it dies down for you guys as it turns to fall. Oh and those are sake barrels that get donated to shrines, I guess for decoration. Can't wait to hear about your adventures :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Leah: Hayama is really pretty!! The buddies are awesome! This should be a good semester :]

    @Natasia: The sunset was really awesome!! But I could barely enjoy it, I was sooo damn tired XD Why would I ever want YOUR FACE on my wall?? Hahaha. I'll post more pictures tonight (my time) that might be more interesting! Love (hate) you!! <3

    @Gabi: The humidity IS the worst! It's supposed to die down towards late September, so until then I'll just have to deal with it! Ohh those are sake barrels? They look awesome! Thanks for letting me know :D More pictures coming tonight (my time) from my first trip to Yokohama :DD

    ReplyDelete